Monday, April 23, 2007

The (elusive) Red Shoes

**Update below!

Mr Earth offered to buy the shoes for me! I went shopping Friday night, expecting to come home with my shiny new shoes. Apparently, they don't make pretty shoes for someone with my elephantine feet. When I told the saleslady that I wanted a size 9, she said:

"Oh. We only order one or two pairs in that size, and they usually sell out right away."

Well, thanks. What does that tell you lady? Do you think that it might be a good idea to order more shoes for these, according-to-her-non-existent, large women with unfeminine feet? I tried other shoe stores and other shoes, but nothing fit right, or were quite sexy - or red - enough to suit me. You just cannot buy black shoes when what you really want is red. You cannot settle for pretty and practical, when what you want is sexy and frivolous.

Is this just one more part of the Great Fashion Conspiracy?? Don't know if you've encountered it, but I sure have. It's part of why I don't like shopping for clothes for myself:

1. Girls with small breasts always want to wear heavily padded bras. (Didn't you know that?)
2. Girls with large hips must necessarily also have large waists. (I can't leave the house without a belt or risk unsightly exposure..)
3. Girls who are large on the bottom must also be large on the top (this is especially embarrassing in swimsuit season)

...and just when I thought I found my safe haven with shoes:

4. Girls with large, wide feet should stick to clunky, formless shoes. Sexy high heels are for people with delicate feetsies.

Grr. And Grr again! Undaunted, I will continue my search. I am nothing if not tenacious. The saleslady threw down the gauntlet, and by god I am going to smack her in face with it! (Wow, that sounds very confrontational, and very unlike me. See what good shoe can do for a girl? I've never had a shoe fetish before, but if anything will make me have one, this will..)

**Well I did find a size 9 in another store - yahoo! Take that you killjoy-sniffy-salesdemon-who-made-me-feel-like-a-large-footed-freak!! The size 9's fit just fine, although I must admit that I am really (really!) bad at deciding what is going to be a wearable fancy shoe. They all feel somewhat abnormal. Usually I wear flat mary-janes, running shoes or sandals. But I'm dying to try something new and be sexy for a change. I'm sure Mr Earth appreciates the effort. Quite frankly, even if these shoes didn't fit - and I think they do - I would probably buy them and make them fit anyway, à la Ugly Stepsister. I'm just obstinate that way...

I can't believe I own a pair of stylish, high-heeled shoes that didn't come from Payless! Very exciting.

20 comments:

cinnamon gurl said...

I have encountered that very same conspiracy! AND I have size 10-10 1/2 feet. AND I got the very same story!! My sizes are always gone, in clothes and shoes... which makes me feel a bit better that I'm clearly a pretty common size, but also angry. Just who is making these teeny tiny clothes? And who for?

SO sorry you didn't get your shoes. I have such a hard time deciding to buy frivolous shoes that it would be devastating once I came to the decision that they were no longer available. Ugh!

Susanne said...

Rellay sorry to hear about the shoes but there will be others equally sexy.

Maybe you'll find some in a place like this.

My sizes are always gone too especially the shoes. For the waistline dilemma you need somebody to alter your pants and skirts (or wear only stretch jeans like me). And I just bought a bikini where you could buy the tops and the bottoms separately. Hurray!

NotSoSage said...

I can personally attest to #1-3. I have the same size feet as you but have been squeezing myself into size 8s for years without realising it. I always thought your toe was supposed to touch the end of your shoe. Yikes!

Oh, I'm so sad for you. I would be so crestfallen.

Suz said...

I'm with Sin! I have size 10.5 feet and have heard the same thing time after time after time. As a result, I usually have to buy my shoes at the beginning of the season and rarely get things on sale. Sigh. I have the same trouble buying clothes, too.

Good luck finding them elsewhere!

Beck said...

I didn't know size nine was considered big! I'm a size 8. But that's so disappointing!

karengreeners said...

shoes are my default - if i can't even get my size in the bloody shoes i want, i get really upset.

Mad said...

I was just mentally bitching to myself about the word "muffin-top". Women have HIPS, people. Just b/c designers have decided to ignore the fact that we have hips does not mean that we are inadequate, ugly, displayers of muffin-tops. Nope. We are hippy, happy mother women.

This from the woman who needs to get every single pair of pants hemmed simply b/c pants are made for 5'7" women even though the average woman is 5'4". Erg. Why they don't make pants for a range of heights, I'll never understand.

Oh and I have a poem at home about shoes that if I find time, I will type into a comment box for you.

kittenpie said...

Newly in at The Shgoe Company - some sexy red patent open-toed slingback Anne Klein numbers. Yummy. They sound like just what you are after... I've also seen some lovelies at Winners that answer to the red patent peep-toe description. Good luck! I can so understand the shoe hunt.

11111111 said...

Ooo, I want new shoes, too, but it should be easier for me to find some since I wear a size 9 to 9.5 mens. That size is quite common for us.

motherbumper said...

That makes me sad, I really wanted you to have the shoes. I think everyone *needs* red shoes.

Kyla said...

Yay for the shoes!!!!

I totally agree with 1-3. I've never had to deal with 4. My feetsies are a 5.5, but I am more of a Chuck Taylor type girl and rarely buy anything fancy.

Mimi said...

Oh yay for you! I wear a size 9 most of the time too. Buncha jerks at that store, obviously.

Why oh why don't shoes come in alternate widths? I have wide wide feet, and I'm tired of them falling out of my shoes. My feet aren't the problem! Impossibly narrow shoes are the problem!

Girlplustwo said...

a hunt for sexy. i have no doubt you'll succeed, girl.

metro mama said...

Hooray! Where them with a sassy step.

I was impressed by the heels in Paris, by the way. London is still all about ballet flats and flat boots.

ewe are here said...

Very cute shoes - glad you found them in your size.

And, yes, I agree there is a fasion conspiracy aligned against me out there, too.

Anonymous said...

Just bought this uber hot red patent open toed high heeled shoes from Vincci, a shoe brand in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Surprisingly, they carry sizes up to size 10. And the shoes are ultra cheap, too. I got my pair for $22 less 10%as they were on sale. Anyway, happy shoe hunting, everyone!

Anonymous said...

hi there everyone. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for that meticulous model. The prices as regards the velcros are approximately 190 bucks on every site. But completely I found this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the boots were around 300 pounds on every page. But for all I set this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for that meticulous make. The prices for the sneakers are about 330 dollars everwhere. But for all I bring about this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I really love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what do you think?